With Lync 2010, one the cool new features released is to be able to search people with their skill sets published in SharePoint’s MySite Profile. To get this great functionality to work properly following componets need to be setup from both SharePoint and Lync ends.
- SharePoint 2010* User Profile Application
- SharePoint 2010* My Sites
- SharePoint 2010* Search Application and Search Center
- Configure the Lync 2o10 server with Search Center URL’s
* from the content that I found internet the server end not necessarily be SharePoint 2010, but I did not get a chance to try this out with SP 2007.
I will be trying to summaries steps that can be use to setup this cool feature,
- Configure SharePoint User Profile Service. Follow steps in this : http://sharepointgeorge.com/2010/configuring-the-user-profile-service-in-sharepoint-2010/
- Setup MySite. Here is another great one from same author : http://sharepointgeorge.com/2010/configuring-my-site-sharepoint-2010/
- Setup the ShearPoint Search Center .Refer this : http://sharepointgeorge.com/2010/configuring-enterprise-search-sharepoint-2010/
- Configure Lync Server with SharePoint server search center URL’s (follow setups by Tim Harrington http://howdouc.blogspot.com/2010/11/enabling-skill-search-in-lync-2010.html
With these limited but great articles I found it is much easier to configure Lync- SP integration for Skill based search. My Thanks to @PrasadWickramasinhe for pointing this out.